Hi all. It’s me, Danielle Fallon-O’Leary, your host of the Daily. Let’s get this Friday started off right, with a quick review of the most important things happening these days in town.
First, today’s weather:
Humid with a stray t-storm. High: 88 Low: 72.
📢 I’m looking for business owners and marketers in Atlanta who want to build awareness, connect with customers and increase sales.
I have a limited number of sponsorships available to introduce our Atlanta Daily readers to local businesses they need to know about. If that’s you, then I invite you to learn more and secure your spot now.
Here are the top five stories today in Atlanta:
- Atlanta artist Amber Nicole creates 3D visual art by using vinyl records, floral arrangements, and crystals. The 28-year-old artist’s work is a representation of the beauty of natural Black hair and Black women. Nicole says, “I want to enter into new art spaces where you wouldn’t expect to see black creatives, and I want to make noise while I do it too.” (MDJOnline.com)
- HAS gun was reportedly found outside of Midtown High School at 7:30 am on Thursday. The man who found the gun reportedly took a photo of it and shared it with WGCL-TV. (Atlanta Patch)
- According to the Georgia Department of Labor’s most recent data, unemployment is at an all-time low while jobs are at an all-time high. Mark Butler, Georgia Labor Commissioner, announced yesterday that the rate of June’s unemployment was 2.9% – the lowest in the state’s history. (WSB Atlanta)
- Monkeypox cases are growing across the state. According to the CDC, Georgia has reached 158 confirmed cases of monkeypox as of yesterday, after only having reported 98 confirmed cases on Jul. 14. The state previously had the highest number of cases in the country until Florida, California, and New York numbers increased. (CBS 46 News)
- Adopt today! dogs and cats are up for adoption in the Atlanta area. Check out Patch’s latest round up of available pets in the area. (Atlanta Patch)
Today in Atlanta:
- BOGO Shake Day Special At Shake Shack (2:00 PM)
- A Poet’s Homecoming: White Party At Apache XLR (7:00 PM)
- Square Blues By Shay Youngblood At Horizon Theater Company (8:00 PM)
- Colombian Independence Viernes Tropicales Latin Night At Sanctuary Nightclub (9:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Looking for things to do in the metro Atlanta area this weekend? Try Christmas in July, the Atlanta Ice Cream Festival, Railroad Rendezvous, or other events happening this weekend! (The Atlanta Journal Constitution)
- Are you a green thumb or just someone who enjoys the beauty of nature? Head to the Atlanta Botanical Garden to see the rare Chapman’s fringed orchid now blooming in the Conservation Display Garden! (Atlanta Botanical Garden via Facebook)
- Atlanta’s Historic West End has been awarded Dave M. and Sean Y. the winners of July’s Yard of the Month. Check out a picture of their “yard” here. (Atlanta’s Historic West End via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Family Dynamics: An American Family’s Journey through Dementia (July 22)
- Colombian Independence Latin Night Atlanta @ Tony’s Alpharetta Sat July 23rd (July 23)
- The City Of East Point Wednesday Wind In The Point (July 27)
- We Love Teachers 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run (July 30)
- Comedian Kristina Kuzmic’s Hope & Humor Show (July 30)
- Online discussion for roofing companies in Atlanta, GA (July 31)
- Celebrating You: 40 Year Anniversary and The Year of Mental Health Celebration (August 13)
- Add your event
Gigs & services:
You’re officially in the loop for today! See you tomorrow morning for another update.
— Danielle Fallon-O’Leary
About me: Danielle Fallon-O’Leary is a senior writer with content creation agency Lightning Media Partners and assists Patch.com with community newsletter curation. Danielle also holds a Master’s Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and works part-time as a pediatric speech therapist.